Tuesday, August 24, 2010

UMASS Boston on the road to engaging their students in the community

It has yet to be a full month since I started my placement at UMASS Boston. However, I can say that it has been one of the most interesting experiences of my life. I have been blessed with a very welcoming group of individuals to make sure I get acclimated to the campus.

I have been working in the Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement at UMASS Boston. This department thrives off of working to every individual's strengths, rather than focus on improving the weaknesses. This view fuels greater productivity amongst a team. The few students that I have met thus far have an enormous amount of passion and creativity towards their missions and I think that the motto of this office has contributed a great deal towards their enthusiasm.

This year I will be working greatly with the students of UMASS. The ultimate goal is to get the students more engaged in working with the community. The students would be volunteering and creating programs for the benefit of creating a more unified community where they feel connected to the individuals and families they live with.

Currently, I am planning a Volunteer Fair to make the students aware of the various opportunities there are to get involved in the community. I hope to have a large variety of community based organizations attending it in order to gain the interests of the diverse population of students.

From what I have seen, the VISTAs before myself contributed a great deal towards this goal. I have some big shoes to fill and I look forward to working with the students and the community organizations this year as well as building on and improving all of our strengths.

Please feel free to contact me. My email is debra.harris@umb.edu.

One love,
Debra Harris-MACC Americorps*VISTA at UMASS Boston

No comments: