Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Helping Build Community at MassArt…One Paintbrush at a Time!


Beloved community activist Bob Moses once asked a family living in the Mississippi Delta during the tumultuous Civil Rights era,

“How do you build and organize a community?” He answered, “By throwing a ball into your neighbor’s yard; that way you have to cross the fence and engage in a dialogue with them. And then your neighbor throws the ball into their neighbor’s yard.”

I took Bob’s spirit to heart when I showed up at the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt) for day one of my AmeriCorps*VISTA service with the Massachusetts Campus Compact (MACC). As my supervisor and I walked around the bohemian campus I could only imagine the creativity and ingenuity behind how MassArt builds partnerships and community.

My thoughts became more defined later that day when I met a cohort of MassArt and Harvard students (working with the Phillips Brooks House Association) running a summer art camp for a throng of underprivileged Mission Hill kids. I stood back and witnessed three worlds ally in perfect accord: Harvard, arguably the poster child of wealth and prestige; MassArt, the artistic capital of Massachusetts; and, kiddos from one of Boston’s most high risk neighborhoods. Sure, the kids concentrated their attention on the fun painting and printmaking activities (much of which ended up all over my clothes), but much more happened that day. Everyone learned a lesson on what it means to be part of community and a neighborhood; whether as a public or private institution providing services to a certain demographic or as a low-income family tapping the neighborhood’s resources. That experience properly oriented me to the notion that MassArt is not just an art school. The institution cultivates strong relationships with its Mission Hill and Roxbury neighbors, and to Bob Moses’s delight, the university community is constantly throwing balls (or maybe paintbrushes) to learn more about them and their needs.


So…what fun things will I be doing in my year of service? The Center for Art and Community Partnerships (CACP), the department wherein I work, needs me to research the impact MassArt’s public art initiatives (colloquially known as the Neighborhood ArtZones) have on the communities it serves. In other words, MassArt wants an official university publication illustrating the difference it is making in Mission Hill and lower Roxbury. The CACP also wants me to explore further community partnership opportunities and hone in more closely on the needs (affordable housing, educational opportunities, etc.) of the neighborhood and how MassArt can address those needs by facilitating public art programs. All that said, the President of MassArt, Kay Sloan, gave me her blessing and sent me to my 12th floor office to begin this important work and make a difference in the world.

I will also work on other public art programs and student initiatives. Last summer, the CACP invited the Combat Paper Project, a program where returned veterans turn their uniforms into paper and participants make art projects on the paper, to come and work with the community. We want the Vermont based organization to come next summer, so I plan to assist in the logistics and writing the grant to make that a reality. In the coming weeks I will also play an important role in the New Student Orientation. I am assisting with a “creative mapping” activity with 400 plus students, which will orient them to the community and reasons why MassArt works so closely with its neighbors.

When I finished graduate school at the University of Massachusetts I never thought I would embark on this journey. In fact, I thought I was bound for a doctoral program in American History, but I needed to make my education practical and useful for humanity, which is why I applied for this MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA position. I think it is everyone’s civic duty to vote and do some small feat to make a difference in the world, whether that means serving your country or your community, those of us privileged with education (and housing for that matter) should disseminate our skills to those who do not have fair or adequate access to basic necessities. So here I am! I plan to write bi-monthly on the projects I am working on and discuss ways that others can be involved. Please stop back often because the other bloggers have pretty awesome posts too. And if you’re ever in the Longwood Medical Area of Boston make sure to visit MassArt and come say hello.

Feel free to contact me at Jeffrey.Robinson@massart.edu.

In Peace and love,

Jeff Robinson
MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA serving at MassArt

No comments: