Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Adaptation

In the first few weeks of settling in at Bunker Hill Community College, I thought for sure that a mistake had been made. Generally, my over-optimistic, cheerful attitude and perspective are appreciated and in addition to that, I often find others that share the same excitement and energy. Here, it just seemed… different. I spent all summer thinking of ideas, strategies and resources to make the work plan that I envisioned, successful and inspiring. I had ideas to really engage students and faculty members into the works of community organizing. I wanted to provide an opportunity for students at Community Colleges to really take on the meaning of “community” and come together with members of their neighborhoods to challenge social issues and stigmas. But, my optimism has been slightly doused. There are politics within the seams of every institution. There are barriers, the do’s and don’ts, and all of them have a way of sapping your vision of its color… Turning it from bright blues and yellows to dark browns and grays… With that, comes the real challenge, and in this case it’s the ability to adapt.

“The art of life is a constant readjustment to our surroundings” Kakuzo Okakauro. Adapting and transitioning to this foreign environment has in fact, been the challenge of my first month as an AmeriCorps*VISTA at Bunker Hill Community College. In North Carolina, I had created a haven, a place of safety. Here in Boston, I’m new and I’m learning more about the area and more about myself. What has been extremely helpful during this month of orientation to my new life in Boston is the support I’ve received from my fellow VISTAs. I have never met such a wonderful group of encouraging and intelligent people, all of whom are willing to lend a listening ear and advice whenever I need it. With their support, I feel I now have more pieces to the puzzle of my work plan configured. In the next month, I’ll be implementing the structure for Serving Our Communities, a six week “Common Interest Community" that includes, orientation to, exploration of, and service to one of the many cities of Boston. This program is in its pilot stage, and has a lot of barriers and possibly unrealistic expectations. Having no real example to lead by, I’ve struggled to create the structure of such a tedious program in a place as transitory as a Community College. I’ve been given great ideas from other VISTAs and I’m equally anxious and excited about putting them to use.

I’ll be blogging about this challenge and my adjustment to life outside of North Carolina… I hope you’ll stick around to see what a year of internal and external growth brings to fruition for this Bunker Hill Community College VISTA!

Warmly,

A@ron

No comments: