Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Stonehill College Comes to Boston University

I’m not going to talk about my program today. Part of what makes MACC enriching is the potential to collaborate with other AmeriCorps*VISTAs. If I cannot directly meet the needs of campus or community members through my program, I can tap into other resources in the MACC and/or BU networks.

Recently, I connected graduate students from BU’s School of Education (SED) to Kate Rafey, MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA at Stonehill College. It happened a few weeks ago when I received an email from an SED graduate student. She read my blog and asked me to speak about service learning as part of her group’s class presentation. Since my service is to coordinate a scholarship program rather than service learning, I asked other VISTAs who work with service learning if they could present for SED. Luckily, Kate volunteered for this opportunity.

Today I sat in on the class and listened to the hour-long class presentation. The students presented theories and research related to service learning. They touched on concepts by Eyler and Giles, which is a coincidence because Giles actually led a service-learning workshop at Campus Compact’s pre-service orientation back in July.

Kate spoke about her personal experience as Coordinator of Stonehill’s Office of Community-Based Learning (CBL). Not only did she illustrate the college’s commitment to social justice, she also explained how her work relates to MACC, AmeriCorps, and CNCS (Corporation for National and Community Service).

If you want to learn more about the work Kate is getting done, check out these resources!

CBL Site: http://www.stonehill.edu/x18172.xml

CBL Blog: http://communitybasedlearning.wordpress.com/

CBL on Twitter: http://twitter.com/stonehillCBL

I’m following Stonehill CBL on Twitter and you should too! If you don’t have an account, get one!

Happy Holidays!

Lindsay

1 comment:

There was a Star Danced said...

Thanks for the press Lindsay!

--Kate