Friday, December 18, 2009

Happy Holidays!

The past two weeks have finally got me into the holiday spirit.

Last week I sifted through holiday cards at Barnes & Noble for half an hour. I didn’t want to be picky, but I’m not someone who just grabs the first box of cards in sight. Plus it was hard to find a card with a pretty design and thoughtful message. After finally deciding on a set of cards, I dedicated a day and a half to writing personal cards to community supporters.

These supporters have been championing BU’s Scholarship for Parents anywhere from a few months to more than a year, and I owe them a huge THANK YOU. Although recruitment events can make life hectic, they have been rewarding. With these cards, I wanted to acknowledge people who’ve made the first half of my service year eventful. That’s why I didn’t mind writing messages to every supporter till my hand felt like it would fall off.

This is my last week of work for 2010, and there has been no shortage of bonding time with coworkers. The holiday party for my college was Tuesday, the holiday party for my office was Wednesday, and the holiday party for my university was Thursday. It reminded me of what I like about this work environment.

People at my university work hard but make time for relaxation. Many employees balance school with work, and that is no easy feat. I couldn’t complain about balancing one class with work because some employees balance two to three classes with work … and they manage their responsibilities well.

Our Parent Scholar JoAn Blake (pronounced “Joanne,” not “Joan”) does an excellent job at managing her time. This semester, she worked, took a few classes, spoke at outreach events for the Scholarship for Parents, AND of course manages parental responsibilities. She continually amazes people that meet her, and I also owe her a big THANK YOU for taking time to share her BU experience with the community.

I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season!

Peace,

Lindsay

No comments: