Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Meet MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA Lauren Buckley!

I can’t believe it’s already October, and I’m just writing my first entry! To be fair, I started a little later than everyone else, but I’ve still been working for about six weeks now, so that’s not much of an excuse. As you might be able to guess, my work at Holy Cross is off to a very busy start. During the first two weeks, my term of service overlapped with that of the outgoing MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA, Sarah Shugrue, so I was able to benefit from her experience and wisdom for a short time. Sarah was amazingly helpful, answering my questions about the position all summer and imparting the knowledge she’s gained on the job during the two weeks when I worked with her.

Sarah’s departure coincided with the first week of the semester—probably by design—so the pace really picked up just as I was beginning to navigate the position on my own. Luckily, I am one of many *VISTAs this year to serve at my alma mater, so the setting and many of the faces that I saw on campus were familiar. Many people ask me whether it’s strange to be working at a school that I graduated from mere months ago, and part of me feared that it would be. Some have even remarked that I’m taking a “fifth year” at Holy Cross, presumably to elude the pressures of the real world for another twelve months, but I’ve tried to be clear that I don’t see it that way myself. I’m not living on campus—in fact, I’m commuting an hour to and from work each day—and I have the opportunity now to see Holy Cross from an entirely different perspective than I did as a student. Although I have the privilege of working with college students and taking in the ivy-covered buildings and fall foliage on my way to the office every morning, the days when I could roll out of bed five minutes before class, spend my entire day focused solely on my own intellectual and personal development, and while away evenings sharing a bottle of wine with my closest friends have sadly passed. While I work on a college campus, I’ve had to conform to the rigors of a regular schedule and professional dress just like my former classmates, and I don’t feel that I’ve cheated myself of the opportunity to experience something new.

One factor that prevents me from feeling that I’m stretching out my college career is that I’m working in an office that I never utilized as a student. I am working in the Community Based Learning office, and regrettably, I never took a CBL course at Holy Cross. I wish that I had taken advantage of this opportunity as a student, but I think that my distance from the department helps me to bring a new perspective to the office, while also helping me not to fall into an awkward position somewhere between student and staff member. I’ve been told that I have a young face, and I am fully aware that most of the people who see me on campus assume that I am a current student, but being introduced to faculty and students as a staff member has helped to establish my position appropriately and accurately on campus. Going from student to staff member is doubtlessly a difficult transition, and things like calling professors by their first names and leading a student group have been challenging to say the least; yet I am beginning to develop a level of professionalism and confidence that I never needed as a student, and I’m learning to, as my supervisor says, “put on my big girl voice” to ensure that I am being heard and taken seriously on campus.

I’m trying to cram weeks of reflection into a single entry, so there’s so much more to say, but I’ll wrap up for now. Hopefully it won’t be another six weeks before I sit down to write another entry, so I’ll have plenty of opportunities to share all that has been going through my mind. I want to emphasize, finally, that choosing to serve for a year with MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA was absolutely the right decision for me. I can’t deny that the lack of paying jobs available to recent graduates influenced my choice ever so slightly, but after a month and a half I can already tell how formative this year is going to be in determining the person I will become and the life I will lead from here on out. MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA offers a unique opportunity for young adults to gain work experience, training, and guidance that my friends who have “real jobs” just aren’t getting, and I would highly recommend this path to anyone who is considering it.

No comments: