Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Good day all,

In the couple of weeks since my last blog post, I’ve started to settle into my role at Salem State. After about a month and a half on campus, I’ve begun to stop introducing myself as the “new” MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA/Civic Engagement Coordinator and have simply jumped right in to the work. What I love about being a *VISTA is the variety of the work, I can be in a t-shirt one day (helping to coordinate a service project) and a tie the next, talking to a senior level administrator. After my first few weeks in “t-shirt” mode helping to organize various projects for new student orientation, I’m now spending more time in ties meeting with administrators about community-based organizations with whom Salem State is looking to form deeper partnerships.

Classes have started, and students are back, which makes the campus buzz with so much more energy. Student clubs are starting to ask me about getting more involved in service, which is both exciting and encouraging as I begin to talk with community-based organizations about how Salem State might be able to better help those organizations achieve their goals.

I’m starting to feel more at home living in Salem too. Despite the visibility of the witch-trial-centered tourism, Salem is really a welcoming small New England city. I have gotten lost both walking and driving around the city (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not) and have found a number of great places to eat and cool things to see and do (other than those that are witch-related). Living in town and having some knowledge of Salem has been a valuable way to strengthen connections and earn credibility with community partners. I also believe that being comfortable in the community is important because as much as I’m very passionate about the work that I’m doing, having a life outside work is important to maintain a healthy balance during my VISTA year.

Jay H

No comments: