Monday, August 31, 2009

Introducing Lindsay Laguna!

Hello, Folks! I’m Lindsay Laguna, proud MACC AmeriCorps*VISTA/Community Programs Coordinator at Boston University Metropolitan College. I’m serving in the department of Student and Corporate Outreach. Although I work in an office that does corporate outreach, I do not work directly with that aspect of the work. Instead I do more community outreach to prospective students at BU Metropolitan College primarily by spreading word about the Scholarship for Parents. I support other outreach efforts, but this scholarship really takes up the bulk of my focus. Rather than repeat everything on the Web site, here is a link that succinctly describes the scholarship:

http://www.bu.edu/met/scholarship/parents/

Before I go into more depth about my work and because I am serving at a university, let me give you a snapshot of my own upbringing and educational experience. I am 24 years old, was born and raised in Chicago, lived a few years in Park Ridge, IL, and graduated with a BA in International Studies with minors in Spanish and Sociology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

After graduation, I worked in a variety of offices in a variety of universities mostly in Chicago. I did a year of service with the AmeriCorps program City Year Chicago. Since apparently I can’t get enough of AmeriCorps programs OR higher education, I now get the best of both worlds with MACC. I can’t think of a better fit for me right now.

I’ve only been with MACC/BU for a month, but this is probably the coolest work experience I’ve had thus far. I attended the Book Bag Drive (where I met the mayor), attend Middle O, a college fair, Chelsea’s Back to School Celebration, go on TV (BNN) with my manager Katherine and our Parent Scholar Joan, and got the scholarship on the BPS site under Family Resources (http://www.bostonpublicschools.org/node/39).

It is essentially my role to promote this scholarship to prospective Parent Scholars in the Boston and Chelsea communities. Since this is the 2nd year we are offering the scholarship, there is still much for me to do in terms of building community awareness of the scholarship and also keeping community members aware of the support that BU Metropolitan College offers to students “from application to graduation.”

Katherine and my VISTA predecessor Jessica have been wonderful in orienting me to BU and Boston in general. I’ve never felt so prepared for a new position, which means a lot since I’ve had quite a few positions these past few years.

That’s all for now! Till next time!

Peace,
Lindsay

No comments: