Thursday, March 26, 2009

Back to Volunteering -- Monthly Service Projects!

As I mentioned, I just got from ASB and came back to work this Wednesday. Right away, I had more service to do! I planned a small volunteer trip for our students Wednesday night. As part of our Monthly Service Projects program, our office organizes service projects for UMass Boston students once a month. This month we found ourselves at The Boston Living Center , an all around resource center for persons living with AIDS or HIV. We were there to serve dinner! Myself and 2 other UMass Boston students came and we worked with Franklin, the cook, in the kitchen. We prepared the dinner for the evening, making sure the food was ready to be put out. I got to serve at the juice bar and admired the variety of juice and other beverages available to clients. The students served the food to clients. We also got to try the awesome pesto pastas and cooked spinach. I really fell in love with the place and how well it is run. At the end of the night Bianca, one of the students, expressed her desire to continue volunteering there on a long term basis. That is a great success for me, as finding students long term service opportunities that match their interests is not necessarily an easy process.

I hope you future and present MACC AmeriCorps*VISTAs will make your way there! It is a great place to volunteer!

~Erika

No comments: